I can't remember when I first heard of the idea of self-care, I know I've been thinking about it for a few years now, and do my best to carve out small parts of my week where I can give myself a little breathing space in whatever way, space or form that might take.
I've spoken on the blog before about mental health, and love the fact that self-care focuses on improving or maintaining one's mental wellbeing. It's not going to be right for everyone, and 20 minutes of fresh air a day isn't going to help someone who's in crisis. But, caught at and thought of at the right time, it could help someone stay well, or even feel stronger.
Each week I'm going to try to think about 7 self care activities I can put in place over the week ahead. Some things might pop up every week, others from time to time and others again could be a one off.
- Use my planner to plan my week as an overview, and my daily spread to do the detail.
- Find some time to crochet each day, even if only 15 minutes.
- Be grateful, whether that is expressed through prayer, or simply noting down what I'm grateful for in my journal I find that the intention behind being thankful and conscious of blessings both big and small is a really positive way of reminding myself of the good things.
- Fresh air - even when the weather is foul, try to get outside for a walk with my partner in crime for 20 minutes.
- Switch off - after 8pm get rid of the technology. It's so tempting to respond to every notification, but it's important that M and I get time together.
- Sunscreen. I have wildly sensitive skin, and rosacea so remembering to apply this every day will do me the world of good.
- Sing! I've recently discovered Encore radio - dedicated to musicals - and singing along to showtunes in the kitchen is pretty much guaranteed to make me smile.
That's my 7 for this week. Why not add yours in the comments below?