To this end I adapted my cornbread recipe to become cows milk free so that we could have it with a chilli, and a barbecue bean casserole for my lunches last week. I see it as an alternative to rice, M likes it as well as.
Despite the adaptation it remained a lovely light bread with no flavour of the coconut milk and the only tangible difference for me was that it was slightly drier than usual. I've also taken to adding chilli to everything lately (I have no idea why, but no, I'm not pregnant) and this was no exception.
Chilli cornbread - cows milk free
125g plain flour
45g caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
250ml coconut milk
45g Pure (dairy free spread)
1 cup of frozen sweetcorn, cooked briefly in the microwave and drained
2 teaspoons of lazy chilli
1. Preheat the oven to 200 C.
2. Grease your tin - I used my brownie tin
4. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until combined(ish) - this is a bit like making muffins, it's never going to be perfect and that's fine. Add the sweetcorn and chilli at the end
5. Pour and scrape into your tin and bake, for 20 minutes
6. Resist the urge to eat it all whilst warm.